[INDOLOGY] aluk-compounds

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 11:42:27 UTC 2020

perhaps only of minimal or indeed no relevance to your question:

Dwivedi, R. C. 1981. “Concept of Obscenity (aślīlatā) in Sanskrit Poetics.”
Annals of the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute 62.1/4: 67–76.
Hopkins, E. Washburn. 1925. “Words of Defamation in Sanskrit Legal
Language.” Journal of the American Oriental Society 45: 39–50.
Masson-Moussaieff, J. 1971. “Obscenity in Sanskrit Literature.” Mahfil
7.3/4: 197–207.
Vigasin, Alexey A. 2016. “Verbal Abuse and Obscenity in Ancient India”,
Vestnik drevnei istorii 76/1: 108–117. In Russian: Вигасин А. А. Поношение
и срамословие в Древней Индии // Вестник древней истории.

Jonathan

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 12:32 PM Tim Felix Aufderheide via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear fellow list members,
>
> does anybody happen to know of (an) example(s) from Sanskrit literature
> (preferably Vedic or Epic) in which a genitival *aluk*-compound is used
> as an insult? I mean in partcular the type of *aluk*-compounds whose
> usage is described and licensed by Pāṇ. 6.3.21 and 6.3.22.
>
> Hints to secondary literature on cursing and swear words in Ancient India
> or on the aforementioned Sūtras (and maybe also Details on the Pāṇinian
> treatment of *aluk*-compound in general) would of course be highly
> appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Tim

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk