Re: [INDOLOGY] vekurañja

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Nov 22 03:17:34 UTC 2020

Along the lines of Professor Dhadphale's suggestion for *vekurañja *as
coming from Skt. *dvaikulajanya*, there are expressions like
*dvaimātura*, *ṣāṇmātura
etc. *The term *dvyāmuṣyāyaṇa* refers to a son with two fathers, one legal
and the other biological. The sons born out of the so-called *niyoga
*"levirate"
are described with this term.  The term *kuṇḍa *used in the passage has a
meaning of "out of wedlock," but having a dual connection, suggesting
something unnatural, illegal.   So *dvaikulajanya* sounds like a very
possible source.  I wonder if there is a northern Sanskrit āgama version.
I read from earlier messages that the non-Pali versions translated into
Chinese show that this term was eliminated from the text, possibly being
considered some sort of an error.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]