[INDOLOGY] sources for the idea that reincarnation is a semi-random process?

Eli Franco franco at uni-leipzig.de
Tue Nov 17 19:24:29 UTC 2020

Dear Matthew,
It all goes back to the Abhidharmakosabhasya. See AKBh on AK 3.15ab,
but Pradhan's edition has a lacuna here. Therefore:
dLVP, vol. 3, p. 50.
Best wishes,
Eli

Zitat von Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info>:

> The "Freudian-like" aspect of the rebirth process in Buddhist
> tantric sources is well-known. I do not recall whether Jung takes it
> up in his introduction to the Tibetan "Book of the Dead", the Bar do
> thos grol, but Indian Buddhist materials clearly reference this as
> well. A brief but important study is Filliozat's:
> https://indianmedicine.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/33562/
> Unfortunately, a pdf does not seem to be readily available.
> Guy Bugault has studied the antecedents:
> https://www.cairn.info/l-inde-pense-t-elle--9782130464822-page-197.htm
>
> One might consult Robert Kritzer's several works dealing with
> rebirth as well:
> https://notredame.academia.edu/RobertKritzer
>
> best,
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études, émérite
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

Prof. Dr. Eli Franco
Institut für Indologie und Zentralasienwissenschaften
Schillerstr. 6
04109 Leipzig

Ph. +49 341 9737 121, 9737 120 (dept. office)
Fax +49 341 9737 148