[INDOLOGY] Orientation of text in sanskrit printed book

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed May 27 21:17:26 UTC 2020

In the early history of printing in India, especially Bombay, lithograph
printing was commonly done this way, with the text in landscape format.
This was a direct transfer of the look-and-feel of the tradition manuscript
over to the new technology of reproduction.

There's a substantial collection (nearly 200?) of early Indian lithographs
in the Wellcome Library in London.  I don't quickly know how to sub-select
them in the OPAC, but here is a link to some of them.
<https://search.wellcomelibrary.org/iii/encore/search/C__Slithograph__Ff%3Afacetlanguages%3Asan%3Asan%3ASanskrit%3A%3A__Ff%3Afacetmediatype%3Aa%3Aa%3ABooks%3A%3A__Orightresult__X0?lang=eng&suite=cobalt>
The Wellcome Sanskrit and Hindi lithographs were catalogued long ago by
Somdev Vasudev.

Best,
Dominik
--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk
<https://www.ualberta.ca/arts/about/people-collection/dominik-wujastyk>

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada