[INDOLOGY] Orientation of text in sanskrit printed book

Tyler Williams tylerwwilliams at gmail.com
Tue May 26 22:36:12 UTC 2020

Dear Harry,

This format was fairly common in the nineteenth century, especially after
the introduction of lithography made it possible to recreate the 'look' of
a manuscript page. Ulrike Stark has written a bit on this (see *Empire of
Books*) as has Graham Shaw ("The Introduction of Lithography and its Impact
on Book Design in India"). Shaw characterizes lithography as making
possible the "mass production" of manuscripts. I think there are some other
things to be said about that but certainly some communities did see
lithography as a way to mass produce copies of sectarian works in the form
with which they were familiar.

All best,
Tyler