[INDOLOGY] Orientation of text in sanskrit printed book

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Tue May 26 22:13:03 UTC 2020

Dear Harry,

It used to be common enough.  The Venkateswara Steam Press, for instance, published many Purāṇa texts in this pothi format, as can be seen by scrolling through the hits on this Archive search results page:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=venkateswara+steam+press&page=3

Apart from purāṇas, the press seems to have favored the conventional layout, which suggests that they were producing these for consumption in a more traditional manner, i.e., reading aloud ceremonially, and that the manuscript-like presentation reflected that purpose.  They are certainly not the only press to produce printed books in this layout.

Tim Lubin