[INDOLOGY] Scholarship on the practice of self-starvation in Buddhism

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Fri May 15 09:36:48 UTC 2020

Dear Chris
I cannot answer your question, but perhaps better to ask at the H-Buddhism
list. However, I can say that to my (of course incomplete) knowledge, *sokushin
jōbutsu* does not mean/have anything to do with self-starvation or
mummification, but means becoming a buddha in this very body (rather than
after death). Perhaps it is held that some practices lead to this, but I
would be surprised if the term were used for the practices themselves.

Jonathan Silk

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 2:56 AM CHRISTOPHER GIBBONS via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear List Members,
>
> I have a student doing research for an essay on the practice of
> self-starvation in Buddhism, specifically the Shingon concept of
> self-starvation and mummification called *sokushin jōbutsu* in Japanese.
>
> It is not my area of expertise and would be very grateful for any
> recommendations of scholarship on this topic to pass on to the student.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris Gibbons
> UQ, Brisbane, Australia.

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk