Re: [INDOLOGY] kośa or koṣa?

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Mon May 11 22:25:26 UTC 2020

Dear Dominik,

Others may provide a more informed account — like you, this is not something I’ve given much thought to — but a quick look at the Digital Corpus of Sanskrit, while still only representing a limited albeit important range of Sanskrit literature, lists nearly 500 instances for kośa, starting with Ṛg Veda (41 occurrences), Atharvaveda (13 occurrences), Chāndogyopaniṣad (3 occurrences), Aṣṭādhyāyī (Aṣṭādhyāyī, 4, 3, 42.0 <http://www.sanskrit-linguistics.org/dcs/index.php?contents=texte&PhraseID=526840> kośāḍ ḍhañ ||),  Buddhacarita (4 occurrences), Hitopadeśa (10x), not to mention Abhidharmakośa, Amarakośa, and so on, but only 4 instances of koṣa (Nighantuśeṣa 1x, Viṣṇupurāṇa 1x, and Āryāsaptaśatī 2x), the nod would seem to overwhelmingly favor kośa. The term can have a range of meanings aside from encyclopedic compendium or lexicon, so many of those instances may reflect a variety of different meanings.

best,
Dan