[INDOLOGY] Techniques of Blinding

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon May 4 17:20:18 UTC 2020

"yogāñjana" could mean "magic ointment" (magic<-yogic), or "an ointment
consisting of a medicinal compound."

The *samāsa* may refer deictically to poisons or corrosive substances
(denotation), but that's not what the *samāsa* means lexically (i.e.,
semantically).

*Arka*, Purple Calotropis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calotropis>, is a
milkweed with a corrosive, poisonous sap. *Snuhī*, a spurge
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia#Irritants>, similarly has white,
corrosive sap.  Etc.

Best,
Dominik

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk
<https://www.ualberta.ca/arts/about/people-collection/dominik-wujastyk>

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada