[INDOLOGY] Metrical inconsistencies and tradition

Dominik Haas dominik.haas at univie.ac.at
Tue Mar 31 07:42:18 UTC 2020

Yes, this would be exactly what I meant. In addition to having 8
syllables per /pāda/, Gāyatrīs are generally (but not always) iambic.
But I can't really see that there's anything wrong with the metre of
this Gaṇeśa-Gāyatrī (maybe it's called /nicṛd/ because the original
Gāyatrī verse ended up with 7 syllables in the first /pāda/, and the
author thought this was standard?).

Mieko Kajihara's very detailed paper is excellent and I can only
recommend it! You can also expect more information about the mantra and
especially its defication in my dissertation. It's still
work-in-progress, but you can find drafts, presentations and papers on
https://univie.academia.edu/DominikHaas. The project plan is also
archived here, if you dislike academia.edu (which I perfectly
understand, considering the amount of trash emails they now send on a
daily basis): https://doi.org/10.25365/phaidra.103. Sorry for the
self-promotion!

Best,

Dominik

*Dominik A. Haas, BA MA*
PhD Candidate, University of Vienna
dominik.haas at univie.ac.at <mailto:dominik.haas at univie.ac.at>
ORCID 0000-0002-8505-6112 <https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8505-6112>
<https://univie.academia.edu/DominikHaas>
follow my work on
univie.academia.edu/DominikHaas
<https://www.academia.edu/keypass/ZW5ZRXhKRStPR21EbjZXN2sycGJ3UTJBa3RXRmdzMS8xcUNsZ05BNFM1ST0tLVNHeXJFaks5aVNNTEpRb21BYkVKOFE9PQ==--e24213c0e3c20341d456d6e3cac8b41f86179746/t/QmyD-NHD76Sz-yeiD0/followings/follow?followee_id=8049457&s=following_you_bundled_email>