[INDOLOGY] Metrical inconsistencies and tradition

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 22:13:54 UTC 2020

It was just pointed out to me off-list that  the  gāyatrī to gaṇeśa
in the gaṇeśātharvaśīrsam,
, the meter is called  nicṛdgāyatrī = broken  gāyatrī, but I don't see why
the meter is called "broken gāyatrī .  Its three lines of 8 syllables
each.  Or are there other rules for  gāyatrī meter other than number of
syllables.

saiṣā gaṇeśavidyā | gaṇaka ṛṣiḥ | nicṛdgāyatrī chandaḥ | gaṇapatir devatā |
oṁ gaṁ ||

ekadantāya vidmahe vakratuṇḍāya dhīmahi | tan no dantī pracodayāt ||

Thanks,

Harry Spier