[INDOLOGY] Retroflexion and gender in viruses

John Lowe john.lowe at orinst.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 09:02:24 UTC 2020

I don't currently have access to my books and papers, but I believe for Panini the only optionality or exceptions to nati all involve morphological boundaries - either nominal compounding, or preverb-verb compounding.

Are there any genuine examples of exceptions/optionality of nati not involving a morphological boundary (parallel to the many exceptions to ruki, like kusuma-)?

If we could split Korona- into something like Kora-una-, then perhaps we could have the optionality; but then again for Panini, the tendency is that compounds forming names are more disposed to nati than freely formed compounds, so even as a compound name we would expect the retroflex, I think.

John