[INDOLOGY] (still) no distraction from the coronavirus...

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 08:20:05 UTC 2020

Dear Jean-Luc,
This is as fascinating as it is puzzling.
Have the translations of (parts of) the Tolkāppiyam by K. Zvelebil ever
been published?
See his announcement of a translation in his *The Smile** Of Murugan*,
Leiden, 1973, p. 131.
Stay healthy and well in Müssen,
Jan

P.S.
for the children in Müssen, during the corona-crisis:

म्युस्सनित्यत्र किं कुर्यात्   हसनं न तु चुम्बनम् ।
This one I will translate, freely, into German:
"Was kann man machen in Müssen?
Nur lachen, nicht küssen."

P.P.S.
Did anyone ever try to transcribe into Sanskrit -- into Devanagari -- the
German "ü" or French "u" or Dutch "uu"?
Max Müller sanskritized his name simply as मोक्ष मूलर according to my
teacher Prof. Henk Bodewitz in order to suggest to his Indian readers that
he can bring them liberation, but in that way M.M. skipped the problem of
the transcription of this phoneme that is absent in Sanskrit and in Hindi
and in most other Indian languages I know of (but a similar sound is there
in Tibetan, if I'm not mistaken).

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 09:51, Jean-Luc Chevillard via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> அவையடக்கியலே அரில் தபத் தெரியின்
> வல்லா கூறினும் வகுத்தனர் கொண்மின் என்று
> எல்லா மாந்தர்க்கும் வழி மொழிந்தன்றே.
>
> "/Avai-y-aṭakku/ is, if well examined, one's modest expression to all to
> discriminate what is good in his unworthy sayings and take it"
>
>   (1936 translation of Tolkāppiyam Poruḷatikāram 419 by P.S. Subrahmanya
> Sastri, as read on p.180 in the 2002 reprint by the Kuppuswami Sastri
> Research Institute, Chennai)
>
> -- Jean-Luc Chevillard (confined in Müssen, Schleswig-Holstein)
>
> https://twitter.com/JLC1956
>
> https://tst.hypotheses.org/author/jlch
>
> https://www.google.de/maps/@53.49484,10.57238,19z
>

> On 27/03/2020 19:28, rainer stuhrmann via INDOLOGY wrote:
> > "Practising Sanskrit as the Epitome of laughableness"
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Rainer

*Jan E.M. Houben*

Directeur d'Études, Professor of South Asian History and Philology

*Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite*

École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE, Paris Sciences et Lettres)

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

*johannes.houben [at] ephe.psl.eu <johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu>*

*https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben
<https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben>*