Re: [INDOLOGY] Sambulā-Jātaka

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 17:18:05 UTC 2020

While not directly concerned with this jātaka, you might find this essay by Anālayo informative, esp. fn. 4.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141210113352/http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/fileadmin/pdf/analayo/SakraDestructionCraving.pdf

The trend seems to be, according to those sources, a domestication of Sakka from the fearsome Indra, slayer of the dragon Vṛtra in the Ṛg Veda, to a docile devotee of the Buddha. However, Buddhaghosa identified Sakka with Vajrapāṇi, the fearsome protector of the Dharma, who pummels those who threaten or bad-mouth the Dharma. So apparently even as late as Buddhaghosa’s day (ca. 5th c CE), the ’terrible’ form of Indra was still resonant with how Buddhists viewed Sakka/Śakra.

best,
Dan