[INDOLOGY] Sambulā-Jātaka

Rolf Heinrich Koch rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:14:52 UTC 2020

Dear Listmembers,
the Sambulā-Jātaka (519) is illustrated at a monastery Sri Lanka.
Sambulā takes care of her leprosy husband Sotthisena in the forest. A
demon falls in love and tries to catch her but Śakra rescues her.  The
corresponding mural depicts Śakra as a terrible being holding a club in
his hands. The Pali Jātaka provides no description of a disguised Śakra
but in the Sinhalese Sambulā-Jātaka we can read, that Śakra saves
Sambulā in the disguise of a terrible being (.../Sakdevraja bhayānaka
vēṣayak geṇa/ ...). I suppose this is recorded in a source of the
Mūlasarvāstivāda-Vinaya tradition, written in Sanskrit or Tibetan.
Anyone of you came across a similar version of this story, where Śakra
saves Sambulā in a terrible disguise?

Thank you

Heiner

Rolf Heinrich Koch