[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit in Times of Corona

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 14:23:16 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Madhav's verses about svayaṃvaras make me think what a hard time Nala would
have at one of these right now, given he is अश्व*कोविदः*.

One question I would like to put to the list: what literary
stories/anecdotes/dicta do we have about either the salutary aspects of
learning or knowing Sanskrit, or about the negatives that will befall us if
we do not know Sanskrit?

And one offer: I have a booklet (about 50 pages A4) that I made for British
Year7 students (= around 10-11 years old) beginning to learn Sanskrit. It
has lots of pictures and riddles and teaches you some very simple vocab and
grammar, as well as some devanāgarī. The pdf is just under 5MB in size.

Given that many of you likely have children who are about to stay home from
school, or are doing so already, I thought I'd mention it on here even
though it isn't anything scholarly as such. If you think your or your
friends' children might be interested, please email me and I'll send you
the file.

All the best,
     Antonia