Re: [INDOLOGY] Unicode fonts for Śāradā and Bhujimol scripts?

Michael.Slouber at wwu.edu Michael.Slouber at wwu.edu
Sat Jun 20 19:21:03 UTC 2020

Dear Nataliya,

I have searched extensively in the past few years for Sharada and Newari
fonts (preferring unicode) for use as illustrations of original texts in
my forthcoming edited anthology, *A Garland of Forgotten Goddesses* (UC
Press).

For Sharada, the only option I was able to find is Google's Noto Sans
Sharada <https://aksharamukha.appspot.com/describe/Sharada>, which is so
ugly as to be unusable.

For Newari fonts, there are some decent ones for modern forms of the
script, such as described at the bottom of this page
<https://aksharamukha.appspot.com/describe/Newa> (with links to the
fonts).  I am not aware of any fonts for the older "Bhujimol" form of
the script.  There is also a Devanagari-encoded "unicode" font for the
Ranjana script you might be interested in, described here
<https://aksharamukha.appspot.com/describe/Ranjana>.  These
Devanagari-encoded Newar fonts work well, despite using the Devanagari
unicode character map.  See here
<https://garudam.info/Ch5-ScriptImage.jpg> and here
<https://garudam.info/Ch10-ScriptImage.jpg> for full-page samples.

All the best,

Michael

--
Michael Slouber, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, South Asian Studies