[INDOLOGY] quote search

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:34:59 UTC 2020

'Sanskriti' in the sense of 'culture of a human group'  is a neologism
found in most contemporary Indian languages.

'Sanskriti'  in  the ancient particularly Vedic Sanskrit usages is a
synonym of or a word related to Sanskaarah which is making better =
bringing in the required effect (for the tradition, ritual, collective
convention of the group including linguistic convention etc.)

There are many such ancient Sanskrit terms whose contemporary understanding
landed into / lead to problems because of the same words being used as
neologisms in the contemporary Indian languages.

Itihaasa is another example.

Itihaasa is a contemporary word for history in many north Indian languages.

As a result, texts that are conventionally called intihaasa have been
viewed as books of history.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 1:27 PM adheesh sathaye via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Looks to be Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa 4.2.1.[27], part of a description of the
> “Great Pressing” (Mahābhiṣava) within a Soma offering.
>
> sa juhoti | sa prathamā saṃskṛtirviśvavārā sa prathamo varuṇo mitro agniḥ
> sa
> prathamo bṛhaspatiścikitvāṃstasmā indrāya sutamājuhota svāheti
>
> (from the GRETIL e-text).
>
> Eggeling’s translation from 1885: “He offers with, ’This is the first
> consecration, assuring all boons; he is the first, Varuṇa, Mitra, Agni — he
> is the first, Bṛhaspati, the wise: to that Indra offer ye the liquor,
> Hail!”. (vol 2, p. 285-6).
>

> Best wishes,
> Adheesh
>
>> Adheesh Sathaye
> University of British Columbia
>

> On Jun 16, 2020, at 23:39, patrick mccartney via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Dear Friends,
>
> Might someone know the source of this quote?
>
> *Sa Prathama Sanskrati Vishvavara*
> <http://www.livescience.com/28634-indian-culture.html>
>
> It is found embedded in assertions, like this:
>
> *India has been described by some traditional texts as Sa Prathama
> Sanskrati Vishvavara
> <http://www.livescience.com/28634-indian-culture.html>, the first and
> supreme culture in the world. To this day, the South Asian country remains
> a hotspring of ancient wisdom on mind-body health and spirituality.*
>
> If one puts this phrase in a search bar, then similar to the return of
> recycled factoids of 'Sanskrit-speaking' villages the same paragraph citing
> the AWGP is mentioned in countless websites. But AWGP website also offers
> little in the way of a textual reference.
> <http://www.awgp.org/spiritual_wisdom/indian_culture>
>
> I am wondering what the traditional texts might be that describe this
> assertion.
>
> Thanks.
>
> All the best,
>
> パトリック マッカートニー
> Patrick McCartney, PhD
> Research Affiliate - Organization for Identity and Cultural Development
> (OICD), Kyoto
> Research Associate - Nanzan University Anthropological Institute, Nagoya,
> Japan
> Visiting Fellow - South and South-east Asian Studies Department, Australian
> National University
> Member - South Asia Research Institute (SARI), Australian National
> University
>
> Skype / Zoom - psdmccartney
> Phone + Whatsapp + Line:  +61410644259
> Twitter - @psdmccartney @yogascapesinjap
>  Yogascapes in Japan <http://yogascapes.weebly.com/> Academia
> <https://patrickmccartney.academia.edu/> Linkedin
> <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=241756978&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile>
>  Modern Yoga Research <http://www.modernyogaresearch.org/events/>
>
> *bodhapūrvam calema* ;-)
>

>    -

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.