[INDOLOGY] quote search

adheesh sathaye adheesh1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 07:34:00 UTC 2020

Looks to be Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa 4.2.1.[27], part of a description of the “Great Pressing” (Mahābhiṣava) within a Soma offering.

sa juhoti | sa prathamā saṃskṛtirviśvavārā sa prathamo varuṇo mitro agniḥ sa
prathamo bṛhaspatiścikitvāṃstasmā indrāya sutamājuhota svāheti

(from the GRETIL e-text).

Eggeling’s translation from 1885: “He offers with, ’This is the first consecration, assuring all boons; he is the first, Varuṇa, Mitra, Agni — he is the first, Bṛhaspati, the wise: to that Indra offer ye the liquor, Hail!”. (vol 2, p. 285-6).

Best wishes,
Adheesh

—
Adheesh Sathaye