[INDOLOGY] poison

Michael.Slouber at wwu.edu Michael.Slouber at wwu.edu
Tue Jun 9 16:21:45 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

In post-classical India, viṣaśāstra became synonymous with a branch of
Tantric medicine that I wrote a book about a few years ago:
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/999908257

Mention of manufactured poison (kṛtrima) is rare in the literature, to
answer Jonathan comment; one rather used poisonous plants, or less
commonly, extracted venom.  And there are fascinating uses of minuscule
amounts of poison for healing that I touch on in the book, responding to
Jan's comment.

Best,

Michael

—
Michael Slouber, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, South Asian Studies
Global Humanities and Religions
Western Washington University