[INDOLOGY] General interest: The Meulenbeld bequest

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 22:26:09 UTC 2020

About two years ago, Prof Sir Jan Meulenbeld's personal library of
ayurvedic and scientific Indian literature was donated to the Wellcome
Library in London.  The books are there, and safe, but still awaiting
cataloguing.  In reply to a query last week, I received this email from the
library:

Dear Dominik

I have been informed by our Collections and Research team that the
Meulenbeld collection is currently in off-site storage, awaiting
cataloguing, which is currently on hold due to COVID-19.

Each item, when catalogued, will state in the Note field that it was
donated from the library of Sir Gerrit Jan Meulenbeld and will be
searchable in the catalogue.

For example, we have items in our collection that were donated to us from
the Women’s Health Library.  If you use Women’s Health Library as your
keyword in the library catalogue search box it will bring up all the items
that were donated from this library:

https://search.wellcomelibrary.org/iii/encore/search/C__Rb3048809__Swomen%27s%20health%20library__P0%2C22__Orightresult__U__X3?lang=eng&suite=cobalt

This will be the method to use for searching for Sir Meulenbeld’s donated
works in the future, e.g. “Sir Gerrit Jan Meulenbeld library”.

The books currently discoverable in the catalogue by Meulenbeld are not
part of the donated works, hence no mention of being donated by Sir Gerrit
in their note fields.

I hope this helps.

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk
<https://www.ualberta.ca/arts/about/people-collection/dominik-wujastyk>

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada