[INDOLOGY] poison

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:08:11 UTC 2020

Thanks for catching that, Vitus.

The Caraka’s full title for that field of medicine is viṣagara-vairodhika-praśama.

https://sarit.indology.info/apps/sarit-pm/works/carakasamhita.xml?root=1.5.4.3.64&view=div <https://sarit.indology.info/apps/sarit-pm/works/carakasamhita.xml?root=1.5.4.3.64&view=div>
Ca.1.30.28 tasyāyurvedasyāṅgānyaṣṭau tadyathā kāyacikitsā śālākyaṃ śalyāpahartṛkaṃ viṣagaravairodhikapraśamanaṃ bhūtavidyā kaumārabhṛtyakaṃ rasāyanaṃ vājīkaraṇamiti //

1. Kāyacikitsā (internal medicine)
2. Śālākya (treatment of diseases of organs in the head and neck)
3. Śalyāpahartṛka (extraction of foreign bodies by surgery)
4. Viṣagara-vairodhika-praśama (managing conditions caused by natural or artificial poisons)
5. Bhūta-vidyā (treatment of psychic diseases caused by demonic seizure)
6. Kaumāra bhṛtya (managing children's diseases)
7. Rasāyana (elixirs for maintaining youth and preventing old age)
8. Vājikaraṇa (aphrodisiacs)

Dan