[INDOLOGY] poison

Dan Lusthaus yogacara at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 20:30:59 UTC 2020

Dear Jonathan,

I believe viṣaśāstra, as its name implies, is a general term for toxicology, dealing with things like poisons, venoms, etc. Many medical works have sections on this. The Caraka-saṃhitā called this kaumārabhṛtyakam; the Suśruta called it agadatantra; Vagbhata called it daṃṣṭrā. Yijing, in his survey of Indian Medicine, called it 論惡揭陀藥 (cf. T 54.2125.223b28-23c6).

Some of our illustrious colleagues who deal with that literature can perhaps guide you to more specific sources.

best,
Dan