[INDOLOGY] The Buddha and the elephant

alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
Thu Jun 4 06:20:04 UTC 2020

Dr.Michaels,Truly enough, elephant finds a special place in the various anecdotes related to Buddha's birth.According to some, Mahamaya , Siddharth Gautam Buddha's Mother( Queen to King Suddhodhana, Buddha's father) dreamt of a white elephant entering her womb before Buddha's birth.(or, elephant making their way out of her womb, according to others) The Hatigumpha cave in Orissa, India, depicting two elephants forging their way out of a mountain cave, is related to Buddha's birth anecdotes.Elephant has a significant place in Buddhist iconography.
                Alakendu Das.

Sent from RediffmailNG on Android