[INDOLOGY] The Buddha and the elephant

Michaels, Axel michaels at hcts.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jun 1 10:42:54 UTC 2020

Dear all,

a friend asked me, whether I now the origin of Malraux’s following epitaph: “The elephant is the wisest of all the animals, the only one who  remembers his former lives; and he remains motionless for long periods of time, meditating thereon.-BUDDHIST TEXT”. It’s in Malraux’s Anti Memoirs.

I have no clue. Anybody of you?

Axel Michaels

[cats]

Prof. Dr. Axel Michaels
Senior Professor | Vice President Heidelberger Academy of Science and Humanities | Founding Director of CATS

Centre for Asian and Transcultural Studies (CATS)
Südasien-Institut / South Asia Institute
Universität Heidelberg

Vossstr. 2, Geb. 4130
Raum 130.03.07
D-69115 Heidelberg