Re: [INDOLOGY] Thieme on Īśopaniṣad

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Jul 25 03:06:29 UTC 2020

Dear Jeff,

     I have read through Patrick's Introduction to his book, but he does
not specifically discuss the order of Chāndogya and Īśā Upaniṣads that
Thieme discusses in the paragraph I cited.  I would have preliminarily
assumed that as part of the Śukla Yajurveda Saṃhitā, the Īśā Upaniṣad might
be somewhat earlier.  Best,

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]