[INDOLOGY] Navagraha worship in Tamil literature

Archana Venkatesan avenkatesan at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 23 16:42:49 UTC 2020

Dear Ofer,

The sthala puranam of the temple of Tirunallaru associated with the worship
of Sani comes to mind. It is one of the 9 Navagraha Sthalas in Tamil Nadu.
That temple is also associated with the story of Nala. There is a
composition in praise of Siva (Darbaranyesvarar) called the *paccai
padigam. *

Although not pre-modern, Muttusvami Dikshitar composed a cycle of kritis on
the worship of the Navagrahas.

Archana

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:32 AM Srilata Raman via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Ofer,
>
> My suggestion would be to look at some of the Tamil Śaivasiddhānta
> Daśakārya texts, or paddhatis related to them - some of them are available
> in that fabulous resource the Tamil Digital Library - which might have a
> section on navagraha worship. Further, there is a collection of stotras to
> the Navagrahas and Caṉipakavāṉ which is also available in the Tamil Digital
> Library under the following title:
>
> நவக்கிரகத் தோத்திரம் சனிபகவான் தோத்திரம்
>

> warmly yours,
> Srilata
> ---------------------
> Srilata Raman,
> Associate Professor of Hinduism,
> University of Toronto.

*"When writers die they become books, which is, after all, not too bad an
incarnation."*  Jorge Luis Borges

Archana Venkatesan <https://archana.faculty.ucdavis.edu/> (
archana.faculty.ucdavis.edu)
Chair, Department of Religious Studies
*Professor, Religious Studies and Comparative Literature*
Phone: 530-754-2821 (Office)