[INDOLOGY] Scan tent

Steve Farmer saf at safarmer.com
Fri Jul 17 15:24:43 UTC 2020

To John Huntington, Dominik, Arlo Griffith, et al.,

The kind of scanning tent shown in the picture that Arlo sent derives from the work in the 2000s by Tom Malzbender at HP Labs (in Palo Alto, California) known as “Reflectance Transformation Imaging.” The technology now is about 20 years old. I reviewed its uses in paleographical and archaeological research at one of the early Harvard Roundtables on the Ethnogenesis of South and Central Asia, back in 2001, shortly after Tom had demonstrated its uses in enhancing archaeological inscriptions.

John: I think we also discussed the technology back then as well on the private “Scholarly Services List" that Lars Martin Fosse was running then when the Indology List wasn’t operating.

A lot of very detailed information on the technology — and how to use it —  can be found on the webpage of the non-profit "Cultural Heritage Imaging Project,” which is run by a very large set of US and a few non-US Research Institutes. For a list of the full members of collaboration, go here http://culturalheritageimaging.org/About_Us/Collaborators/index.html <http://culturalheritageimaging.org/About_Us/Collaborators/index.html> ).

Tom Malzbender I noticed this morning is on the Board of Directors.  For really deep written and graphic overviews, both technical and non-technical, of how "Reflectance Transformation Imaging" works, go here; there are good pictures there of some of the reconstructions.
http://culturalheritageimaging.org/Technologies/RTI/ <http://culturalheritageimaging.org/Technologies/RTI/>

Warm regards,
Steve Farmer
The Systems Biology Group,
Palo Alto

Overiew here:
believe

Adeline Levivier, Visual Data Manager for the DHARMA project, whom you see in action in this photo, has conceived this cube-shaped tent with movable LEDs and obtained excellent result for photographing copper plates during our fieldwork in Bangladesh last year. If there is interest, I can ask her to write up a description of how to build this very portable contraption.

Arlo Griffiths

Envoyé de mon iPhone