[INDOLOGY] help with a name

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at uni-bonn.de
Thu Feb 27 11:33:49 UTC 2020

Am 27.02.2020 um 10:29 schrieb Jonathan Silk via INDOLOGY:
> My colleague however has asked me about Har Dayal. Wikipedia tells me
> that his name is Lala Har Dayal Singh Mathur. OK, but in English at
> least he published under Har Dayal, so my colleague's question is
> whether the "family name" is Dayal, or Har Dayal, or as I interpret
> the question, whether we should put reference in a bibliography as
> Dayal, Har, or rather Har Dayal.

The library authority files are not unanimous, at least.

Library of Congress: Dayal, Har, 1884-1939
(<http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50045741>)
German National Library and Bibliothèque Nationale: Har Dayal
(<http://d-nb.info/gnd/119171414> and
<https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb121996051>)
Koninklijke Biblioteek (Netherlands): Haradayāla

For more references see <http://viaf.org/viaf/59130510>.

All the best
Peter Wyzlic

--
Universität Bonn
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften