[INDOLOGY] Deshpande Genealogy

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Feb 3 18:08:53 UTC 2020

I found a book gifted to my grandfather by someone, where it says: रा.
(=राजमान्य) वासुदेवराव देशपांडे यांस सप्रेम.  So, here my grandfather was
addressed as वासुदेवराव.  It is intriguing to me: रामचंद्रपंत
>वासुदेवराव>मुरलीधरपंत>माधवराव.  Would be a good research topic for someone.
Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 9:38 AM Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi Asko,
>
>      Yes, the word पंत in Marathi is derived from पण्डित.  In older forms
> of Marathi, a teacher was called पंतोजी.  In modern Marathi, however, पंत
> is simply an honorific, alternating with राव [< राज], and it does not
> retain its meaning as scholar or officer of the state.  Why some Marathi
> names typically have पंत, and others typically have राव, needs to be
> investigated.  I have noticed that पंत is typically found among Brahmins,
> while राव is found in all Marathi communities.  But even among Brahmin
> names, it is always विष्णुपंत and not विष्णुराव, and always माधवराव, and
> not माधवपंत.  I have not figured out why this is the case.
>
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>
> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 7:51 AM Asko Parpola <aparpola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Molesworth’s Marathi-English dictionary (2nd ed. 1857 p. 487a): paṃta m
>> (Abridged from paṃḍita for which word it is still used at Benares &c.) A
>> prefix of honor before each of the designations of the aṣṭapradhāna or
>> eight grand counselors of the realm; as paṃta pratinidhi, paṃta amātya. 2.
>> An affix to the name of a Bráhman who, not having studied the Shástras,
>> employs himself in accounts and writing.
>>
>> “Asok"
>>
>> On 3 Feb 2020, at 17.25, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Allen,
>>
>>      Difficult to say.  From the story about Lukambhatta that I
>> recounted, it seems that his role as a court astrologer may have given him
>> the title of Bhatta.  Otherwise, Panta or Rao are the common honorifics
>> used in Marathi.  Some names typically get Panta, while others typically
>> get Rao.  For my name, I have always heard Madhav Rao, but for my father,
>> it was always Murlidhar Panta.
>>
>> Madhav
>>
>> Madhav M. Deshpande
>> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
>> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>>
>> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 7:10 AM Allen Thrasher <alanus1216 at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Madhav,
>>>
>>> Does the switch from -Bhatta to -Panta represent the bestowal of some
>>> sort of title or mark of distinction?
>>>
>>> Allen
>>>

>>> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>>> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>
>>>
>>> On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 10:03 PM, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
>>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> In an old letter of my father, he lists our genealogy from the 16th or
>>> 17th century. Here are some interesting details:
>>> Our known genealogy from 16th or 17th century:
>>>
>>> Lukambhatta>
>>> Avajipanta>
>>> Vitthalapanta>
>>> Balajipanta>