[INDOLOGY] Deshpande Genealogy

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Feb 3 17:38:29 UTC 2020

Hi Asko,

     Yes, the word पंत in Marathi is derived from पण्डित.  In older forms
of Marathi, a teacher was called पंतोजी.  In modern Marathi, however, पंत
is simply an honorific, alternating with राव [< राज], and it does not
retain its meaning as scholar or officer of the state.  Why some Marathi
names typically have पंत, and others typically have राव, needs to be
investigated.  I have noticed that पंत is typically found among Brahmins,
while राव is found in all Marathi communities.  But even among Brahmin
names, it is always विष्णुपंत and not विष्णुराव, and always माधवराव, and
not माधवपंत.  I have not figured out why this is the case.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]