[INDOLOGY] Appropriate meaning of the word"Vigyan"

alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
Tue Dec 15 05:16:09 UTC 2020

Mr.David and Nancy Riegle,
Thank you so much for helping me with Franklin Edgerton's 1933 article on Vignana and Gnana.!I was feeling elated as I was going through ShankaraCharya's analysis on Gnana and Vignana.However,as I referred to Buddhist definition of Vignana ( my Nov 13 post) previously , I find VasuBandhu, in his book" VignaptiMatroSiddhi" speaking on Vignana as follows-" Chittam Manam Vigyanam VignoptiScheto Paryaya" which somewhat means that Chitta( I.e.the internal sense organs,or Antaksharan,in Sanskrit, according to Patanjaili's Yog Philosophy), Manam(mind) and Vignana are synonymous terms (Paryaya).
RegardsAlakendu Das.

Sent from RediffmailNG on Android