Re: [INDOLOGY] Source of the post-position ने in Hindi

Dick Plukker d.plukker at ziggo.nl
Mon Apr 13 07:40:14 UTC 2020

Thomas Oberlies, /A Historical Grammar of Hindi/ (2005:29), wisely
refrains from giving an etymological explanation for the Hindi
postposition ने. In note 8 he refers to L.A. Schwarzschild, Collected
Articles (1991:93), who "surmises that the Prakrit/Apabhramsha
postposition तणय-  is continued by Hindi and Gujarati ने and Marathi नें/निं."

S.H. Kellogg, /A Grammar of the Hindi language/, repr. 1965, p. 131-2,
shows with a number of arguments - the main of which is the fact that
"/ne/ cannot be traced back further than two or three hunderd years" -
that this postposition cannot be related to the Sanskrit instrumental
-/ena. /His conclusion: "... we are thus at once led to connect it, like
the /nai, nai_n/, and /ná/, which in some Western Hindi dialects are
substitued for /ko/, - through the Naipali /le/, with the root
/lag/;//the order of the derivation being as follows: Sk. past.
part.act. /lagya/, Pr. /laggio/, H. /lagi, lai, le , ne/."

It seems that the final word on the origin of /ne/ has not yet been spoken.
/
/ Stay safe.

Dick Plukker
Amsterdam