Re: [INDOLOGY] Source of the post-position ने in Hindi

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Sun Apr 12 18:38:21 UTC 2020

Dear Madhav,

In his 1991 book The Indo-Aryan Languages, beginning on p. 344, Colin Masica writes:

Where distinctive marking of the ergative Agent is retained , it has taken several
forms:
1. a direct phonological descendant of the Sanskrit Instrumental (-ena , --ina ,
-unā, -ayā, -yā; -aiḥ], -bhiḥ] , etc.) in the form of the common Oblique case into
which it has merged (different in Masculine and Feminine , and in singular and
plural) is the marker - in Sindhi and "Lahnda" (including Siraiki) , most forms of
Rajasthani (lost except as an alternate with 3rd person pronouns in the form of
Marwari studied by Magier 1983), Bhadarwahi , and several Dardic dialects; in
Kashmiri where the old cases are less completely merged, some declensions
preserve a recognizably Instrumental form (-an, -en) in the singular; in Kalasha
and Khowar, where. they are even better preserved, the ergative construction
does not exist (the old Preterite also having been preserved) , and the case retains
a purely instrumental function, primarily with inanimgte nouns (Morgenstierne
1947, 1965) ;
2. one (most common) direct phonological descendant (-ena > -e~ > -e) is
generalized for all genders and both numbers as an agglutinized marker — in
Gujarati , Assamese (with some East Bengali dialects and Bishnupriya [K. P .
Sinha 1981: 81]), and most West Pahari dialects (Kangri, Jaunsari, Baghati ,
Sirmauri, Kiunthali, Kului , Mandeali , Churahi, but Standard Chameali and
Bhadarwahi show gender variants) ; this suffix partly coincides with the Locative
(the Eastern languages attempt to keep them separate by means of new Locatives
in -t-), but new suffixes (G. -thī, A. -ere) compete for the properly "instrumental"
fun􀲆tion, leaving it almost as a distinctively "Agentive" case;
3. "reinforced" versions of an instrumental marker characterize Hindi, Punj abi,
and Marathi , distinct as Agentives from new Instrumentals in the first two (-ne vs.
H. se, P . -nāḷ) , retaining an instrumental function (and distinct singular/plural
forms) in Marathi (-ne, -nə/-nī) ;
4. "new" instrumental markers have usurped the agentive function in Nepali and
Kumauni (-Ie) , also partly in Shina (-s/se - possibly borrowed from the neighboring
Balti dialect of Tibetan) , with still newer markers coming in (N. -baṭa) to pick
up the ordinary instrumental function.
Many NIA languages have neutralized the Nominative/Agentive distinction in
1st and 2nd person pronouns , often in favor of the Agentive in the former: P.
mai~, Marw. mhe~ 'I (Nom/Ag)’ (vs. G. hu~/me~ 'I (Nom)/I (Ag)') . Hindi
pleonastically reinforces mai~, originally Agentive, as mai~-ne.

Best,
Tim