[INDOLOGY] A distraction from the Coronavirus

Girish Jha jhakgirish at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 01:15:03 UTC 2020

Dear Professor Houben
I am overjoyed to read your reply.You have presented a great deal of
grammatical materials in order to derive "yaaji". Only Panini 3.3.110
resolves this problem which was not in my memory.Yaaji is in the sense of
sacrifice and is also conducive to the popular usage.Acc. to Unadi rule
"vasi vapi" quoted in the Siddhanta Kaumudi it conveys the sense of a
karta( agent)which is not required in the said context.
व्युत्पत्तिमालोक्य पदस्य याजे र्मनः प्रसादं नितरां प्रयाति।
हे शब्दशास्त्रीयविवेकदक्ष मुहुर्मुहुस्त्वामभिनन्दयामि।।
Girish K.Jha
Retd University Professor
Dept of Sanskrit,  Patna University
Residence : Kolkata