[INDOLOGY] A distraction from the Coronavirus

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 23:11:46 UTC 2020

Dear Prof. Jha,
No Ṛṣi-status required: it is not that difficult to derive *yāji* as action
noun from *yaj* ‘to venerate (ritually)’, ‘to sacrifice’ (hence having a
meaning equivalent to another action noun derived from *yaj*: *yajña*
'(ritualized)
veneration', 'sacrifice').
See Pāṇini’s Aṣṭādhyāyī 3.3.110 *vibhāṣākhyānapraśnayor iñ ca* and the
Kāśikā.
If I understood correctly, Vasiṣṭha is replying to a question of king
Daśaratha, so the form could probably be justified in the context of the
story ;)
In addition, there is Uṇādisūtra pāda 4, sūtra ca. 124-134 (depending on
the edition): *vasivapiyaji...vāribhya iñ*.
Commentaries give here examples of mostly feminine action nouns, but in the
case of *yāji* some commentaries explain the meaning, exceptionally, as an
agent noun : sacrificer. Śabdakalpadruma vol. 4 p. 31 gives *yāji* as a
masculine noun and notes that it means sacrifice, but acc. to another
authority: sacrificer. Wackernagel AiG Band 2, 2 p. 301 mentions an
occurrence of *yāji *(also in Hauschild's Register p. 190) in the sense
'offering' ('das Opfern') in Manu 10.79, but this must be a mistake for
*yaji* which I see in all editions available to me and which, unlike *yāji*,
gives a correct metre.
Best regards,
Jan Houben