[INDOLOGY] Mayavada (was Lines to an Advaitin)

Hartmut Buescher buescherhartmut at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 10:59:52 UTC 2020

Probably, if somebody explicitly provides references to the sources of
given

quotations, everybody can understand these. Nobody denied Śaṅkarācārya's

employment/interpretation of the term *māyā* as such (to the contrary).

Mayeda’s old investigations of various works ascribed to Śaṅkara being
well-known,

yet given that authorship studies often initiate, rather than conclude, the
given

issue, I’d rather be interested in learning about more recent studies
addressing

the authorship of the *Gauḍapādīyabhāṣya* particularly with a focus on how

significant technical terms were understood by respectively Gauḍapāda and

the author of this *B**hāṣya*. That is, beyond Bouy’s unfortunately in some
respects

somewhat problematic Gauḍapāda monograph that has received an excellent
review

by J. Hanneder (Indo-Iranian Journal 46 [2003]: 161-165), who had to
conclude:

“To follow Śaṅkara in sensitive interpretational details is philologically
and

historically inadmissible and B’s treatment of Gauḍapāda’s work is in this
respect

a step back to the outdated interpretation of Karmarkar”.

The mere differences of understanding technical terms and philosophical
intentions

between Gauḍapāda and the Bhāṣyakāra would, however, not necessarily serve

reject Śaṅkarācārya’s authorship of this *B**hāṣya* (but then rather throw
some interesting

light on Śaṅkara’s hermeneutical relationship to his, traditionally
speaking, Guru’s

Guru). Ironically somebody might even assert that twisting the meaning of
passages

in texts Śaṅkara comments upon is actually part of his philosophical
trademark and,

e.g., refer to V. S. Ghate’s study of the BSBh, often taken as the
reference work for

evaluating the authorship of other works ascribed to Śaṅkara.

Ghate (*The Vedānta. A Study of the Brahma-sūtras with the Bhāṣyas of
Śaṁkara, *

*Rāmānuja, Nimbārka, Madhva and Vallabha*, Poona, 3rd ed. 1981: 162)
stated:

“Thus we are quite justified in arriving at the conclusion that Śaṁkara’s
doctrine

is out of count so far as the sūtras are concerned, whatever be its value
as a

philosophical system”.

Apparently, Nagaraj Paturi had personal reasons for not at all addressing
my questions

to him; no need to pursue this issue. If I remember correctly, even Hacker
(relying on

colophons, while deviating from his own proper principles of investigation)
accepted

the traditional view (particularly in Śṛṅgeri, cf. hereto Peter
Stephan, *Erlösung
im *

*Spannungsfeld von aktivem Leben und Entsagung. Eine Studie zu **Śaṅkar**as
Exegese *

*der Bhagavadgītā*. Aachen 2002: 99) of ascribing the authorship of the
*Vivekacūḍāmaṇi*

to Śaṅkara. Otherwise, among others (as referred to), Śrī
Saccidānandendrasarasvatī

of Holenarsipur, who considered such an ascription as naïve (
*avicāraramaṇīyatā*; cf.

his *Vedanta-Prakriya Pratyabhijna*, Holenarsipur 1964: 13), providing good
reasons,

and argued for ascribing that work to Śrī Śaṅkarānanda.

Kind regards, Hartmut