[INDOLOGY] Mayavada (was Lines to an Advaitin)

Michael Williams michael.williams at univie.ac.at
Thu Apr 9 06:05:09 UTC 2020

I would just add that the Mādhvas usually use the term māyā-vādin to
refer to Advaitin philosophers. It is clear that it has a pejorative
force, particularly in texts like the Madhvavijaya (the most famous
biography of Madhva). The Madhvavijaya makes a lot of the fact that the
compound can be interpreted as a straightforward statement of the
Advaitins' position (they are "philosophers who hold that [the world] is
illusion"), but also with a pejorative sense as "a proponent of the
fraudulent/false philosophy”. The Mādhvas widely refer to themselves by
contrast as tattva-vādins ("proponents of the doctrine that [the world]
is real" / "proponents of the truth").

Best wishes,

Michael Williams