[INDOLOGY] Mayavada (was Lines to an Advaitin)

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 04:21:01 UTC 2020

Of course, the references that Prof. Paturi gave to Śaṅkarācārya's
etymological interpretations of the word māyā, drawn from his father's
commentary on the *Vivekacūḍāmaṇi*, do not come from the *Vivekacūḍāmaṇi*.
They come from Śaṅkarācārya's commentary on the *Bhagavadgītā*, chapter 15,
verse 16, and from Śaṅkarācārya's commentary on the *Māṇḍūkyopaniṣad* and
Gauḍapāda's *Kārikā*, chapter 3, verse 24. Both of these commentaries are
regarded by scholars such as Sengaku Mayeda as being by the same Śaṅkarācārya
who is the author of the *Brahmasūtrabhāṣya*.

"The Authenticity of the Bhagavadgītābhāṣya Ascribed to Śaṅkara," *Wiener
Zeitschrift für die Kunde Süd- und Ostasiens*, vol. 9, 1965, pp. 155-197.

"On the Author of the Māṇḍūkyopaniṣad- and the Gauḍapādīya-bhāṣya," *Adyar
Library Bulletin*, vols. 31-32, 1967-68, pp. 73-94.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.