[INDOLOGY] About "bha-graha"

Mrinal Kaul mrinalkaul81 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 16:05:34 UTC 2019

Dear Prof Gansten,

Thanks very much for your email. Indeed the discussion is about determining
the most suitable time for following certain rituals. But I am curious
about "*bha*" that is prefixed to '*graha*'. In the *Tantrāloka* 28 and the
commentary titled Vivek thereupon by Jayaratha there are expressions like '
*bhagrahādyātmanaḥ*' (Viveka on 28.35) where he also quotes a verse that
reads '*bhagrahasamayaviśeṣaḥ*.....'. 28.40ab reads '.....
*bhagrahādyātmakatvāt* *viśeṣarūpatvameva* |' In 28.42cd Jayaratha begins
with a question '*nanu kasmād atra āśvayuje māsi bhagrahādiyogi nokta*....|'
to which Abhinavagupta is supposed to have replied
'*bhagrahasamayaviśeṣo*.....|'
28.46cd also reads '*dinavelābhagrahakalpanena*....|' 28.47cd has '
*bhagrahatithiḥ'* and in 28.49cd Jayaratha quotes from the *Bṛhatsaṃhitā*
4.4 and concludes after a short discussion there saying *sā hi tithir
ucyate yā bhagrahaiḥ sphuṭībhavati.* Again, 28.51d has
*tithibhagrahayogataḥ* and 28.52a has *bhagrahayogābhāve tithiḥ*.

I think Prof Gnoli also translated the expression as 'asterismi'. I think I
have some clarity now, but it would be nice if some expert is able to throw
more light, may be from Jyotiṣa texts.

Many thanks and best wishes.

Mrinal
------
*Mrinal Kaul, Ph.D.*
Assistant Professor - Manipal Centre for Humanities (MCH)
Coordinator - Centre for Religious Studies (CRS)
Dr TMA Pai Planetarium Complex
Alevoor Road, Manipal 576 104
Karnataka, INDIA
Tel +91-820-29-23567 Extn: 23567