[INDOLOGY] About "bha-graha"

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 14:16:02 UTC 2019

I am not entirely sure either, as I am not familiar with the text, but
from the surrounding verses (as found on GRETIL
<http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/1_sanskr/6_sastra/3_phil/saiva/tantralu.htm>)
the context seems to be instructions for determining the most suitable
time for one or more rituals (that is, muhūrtaśāstra: electional or
katarchic astrology). Verse 45 has bhagrahau, making it probable that
the compound should be understood as a dvandva throughout. In that case,
bha is probably a synonym of nakṣatra or asterism ('zodiacal sign' would
be another possibility, but I don't see the twelve signs mentioned at
all, and the nakṣatras are typically much used in muhūrta), and graha
means 'planet'. But what planet is meant, or what it is supposed to be
doing, is not clear to me. As I said, I haven't studied the text, just
looked at the section immediately surrounding the verse you asked about.

Martin Gansten