[INDOLOGY] Out-of-body experience in Indian religions

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 17:24:32 UTC 2019

On the Buddhist side, out of body wandering is often associated with nirodha-samāpatti, a high-level meditative condition, which Buddha himself apparently engaged in, in which one’s body is barely distinguishable from a corpse, displaying almost no vital signs. Buddhaghosa’s Visuddhimagga gives various accounts, including ones in which the body, mistaken for dead, is disposed of, so that when the consciousness returns looking for it, it is not there. One can enter nirodha-samāpatti for a short while, or up to several weeks. One supposedly sets in internal timer before entering it, marking the time when one becomes re-animated. The stories he references can be found in earlier sources.

But as Bradley, I think rightly, cautioned, the concept of out-of-body experiences gets complicated in Buddhist context. When Buddha (or others, such as Moggallāna) visit deva realms or hells, etc. or manifest multitudes of alternate bodies elsewhere, etc., there is often (but not always) the presumption that one’s basic body is still in place, perhaps even functioning and performing daily activities. So there are many ways that one can be active and have experiences outside of one’s basic body. One of the ṛddhis, the “super” powers that advanced practitioners may achieve, includes a “divine eye” that can see anywhere, not just where one’s body happens to be. Would that also qualify?

Dan