[INDOLOGY] ECSAS 2020 CfP for panel on Scripture and Community Formation

Kush Depala kushdepala at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 10:44:25 UTC 2019

ECSAS 2020 - Call for Papers for panel on Scripture and Community Formation

(Apologies for cross-posting)

We are delighted to accept papers for our panel in Vienna next year. The
Call for Papers closes on November 17, and can be found here:
https://ecsas2020.univie.ac.at/panels/lbnt5/

—

*“Thus it is said...”: The Role of Scripture in Legitimising South Asian
Sectarian Communities*

This panel calls for current research on the formation of religious
traditions in South Asia with a focus on scripture. It explores how
scripturalisation and the various processes it involves has helped
establish communities within authoritative rubrics during their critically
formative years.

*Convenors:*

*· Avni Chag* *SOAS (London, United Kingdom)*

*· Kush Depala* *Heidelberg University (Heidelberg, Germany)*

*Long Abstract*

This panel seeks to revitalise the study of ‘scripture’ in the South Asian
context by considering its role within sectarian community formation. It is
especially interested in the processes used in formalising scripture.
Examples include the reuse of quotations and concepts; translations into
authoritative languages; attribution of authorship to a deity or
authoritative leader; stylisation according to śāstric norms; inclusion of
concepts to appeal to historical contextual authorities; and dissemination
and print. Such processes point to how a community seeks legitimacy through
texts to situate itself within accepted authoritative rubrics. We encourage
cross-disciplinary approaches that address how scripturalisation processes
have featured in various cases of community formation, the consolidation of
authority through scripture, and the contexts that have pressured nascent
groups to literalise and scripturalise their doctrinal positions. We hope
this will encourage fruitful discussion on how scripture features as an
important marker in the study of community formation and legitimisation.
Further related questions could include: How were processes involved in
scripturalisation simulated and intended to serve a temporary need? For
example, making a text look older than it is, attributing it to an
authoritative person, or reusing authoritative quotations and concepts that
disagree with the tradition’s distinct doctrinal position. What extent has
a group compromised literalising its doctrinal positions in its aim to
acquire credibility? And how do we understand such texts that have become
permanent markers of a sectarian group’s identity today?

Respondent: Brian Hatcher *Tufts University (Medford, United States of
America)*

—

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch at
kush.depala at stud.uni-heidelberg.de or avni_chag at soas.ac.uk