[INDOLOGY] Spalding Symposium on Indian Religions 2020: Call for papers

Karen O'Brien-Kop Karen_O'Brien-Kop at soas.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 08:11:01 UTC 2019

*Spalding Symposium on Indian Religions*

*Call for papers: 2020 Symposium *

We invite proposals for papers for the 45th Spalding Symposium on Indian
Religions, which will be held at the University of Edinburgh, on
24th-26th April
2020. The theme this year is “Comparison(s)”. Our purview includes both
religions of South Asian origin wherever in the world they are being
practised, and those of non South Asian origin present within South Asia.
We welcome papers based upon all research methods, including textual,
historical, ethnographic, sociological and philosophical.

Presenters are allocated forty minutes for their paper and twenty minutes
for discussion, and will normally be expected to pay their own conference
registration and expenses. The Symposium fee, including food and
accommodation, will be in the region of £245, with a non-residential rate
of around £85. Registration details will be released in the new year.
Limited financial assistance may be available for early career scholars or
scholars from South Asia. If your participation depends upon such support
please indicate this when you submit your abstract.

We also welcome proposals from doctoral students, who will be allocated
twenty minutes for their paper and ten minutes for discussion, and offered
free registration at the Symposium. PG papers need not address the
symposium theme, though it is an advantage if they do so.

We are delighted to announce our keynote speakers:

   - *Dr Jacqueline Suthren Hirst*, who recently retired from Manchester
   University, will speak on “A Life of Comparisons”
   - *Prof. Oliver Freiberger* of the University of Texas at Austin, will
   speak on “Comparing Religion Within and Beyond South Asia”

If you would like to give a presentation, please send a title and abstract
(maximum 500 words) to Dr Brian Black, b.black at lancaster.ac.uk, by Friday
29 November 2019.

Further information about the Symposium can be found on our website,
spaldingsymposium.org
<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fspaldingsymposium.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cb.black%40lancaster.ac.uk%7Ce6277c362b874d8ddb2308d72fb09b52%7C9c9bcd11977a4e9ca9a0bc734090164a%7C1%7C1%7C637030307878617156&sdata=7xlBpvdh9DU4DdD7FUr2%2BJz0gcqmVKcbuCRDh%2F1tYnA%3D&reserved=0>,
where you can also sign up to receive details of the programme and booking
information when available.

Looking forward to receiving your abstracts!

All the best,

Dr. Karen O'Brien-Kop
On Behalf Of: Dr Brian Black

Dr. Karen O'Brien-Kop
*Senior Teaching Fellow*
*Department of Religions and Philosophies*
SOAS University of London