[INDOLOGY] A manuscript written in unknown scripts

Aleix Ruiz Falqués arfalques at cantab.net
Thu Sep 5 03:32:06 UTC 2019

Dear Shihong Zhao,

This is a Pali manuscript written in Old Burmese script, otherwise known as
Square Script or Tamarind-seed Script. It contains the Kaccāyana Pali
grammar, only the suttas, wihtout the gloss (vutti), which is quite
remarkable. I have never seen a Kaccāyana manuscript written in the old
script and I have never seen a Kaccāyana manuscript without the gloss. Old
Burmese Script is normally used in kammavācā texts.

Do you know the origin of the manuscript? Any date?

Best wishes,
Aleix

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 09:18, Shihong Zhao via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear List members,
>
> Recently I have received some pictures of a manuscript from my professor,
> but I do not know the script. I would appreciate it if anyone could kindly
> help to decipher both the script and the content.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lqyljzmfxdtke6v/AAAKjJ8h0mZGz0q9Bzs41Tlza?dl=0
>
> Shihong Zhao, PhD Student
> Department of Indological Studies
> Graduate School of Letters
> Kyoto University

Aleix Ruiz-Falqués
Pali Lecturer
Head of the Department of Pali and Languages
Shan State Buddhist University
Phaya Phyu, Taunggyi, Myanmar 140101
(+95) 09428757648