[INDOLOGY] Copyright and authorship of critical editions

Dominik Haas dominik.haas at univie.ac.at
Tue Oct 1 12:42:53 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

yes, it does become more complicated, and this is the reason why Germany
and several other countries have special copyright laws for scientific
text editions.

In most countries, copyright does not depend on a specific formula or
even the presence of a © symbol but, first of all, on the author. The
rights of an author expire after a certain period (60, 70, 75 or more
years) after the death of the (last) author or, in the case of
scientific editions in several European countries, after 25 or 30 years
after the first publication. So BORI could, in any case, only claim the
copyright for a certain time (I don't know when the last author of the
edition died) and in certain countries. The same applies to the NT
editions mentioned by Richard Mahoney, which both mention their
"authors" (who of course are, philologically speaking, editors).

So legally, it all depends on authorship. For all I know, the editors of
critical editions are authors, even though the base texts are public
domain: even if you think of critical editions only as compilations,
they can, in my view, be copyrighted, because they involve the creative
selection and rearrangement of preexisting material. Of course, they are
not supposed to be "new," but how could you prove (in court) that they
are not, as long as the archetype is not found? I would argue that this
applies regardless of what Sukthankar or any other authority says. In
the eyes of the world, they are new texts, created by peope who are
legally authors. At least in Austria, you cannot even get rid of
authorship that easily – it is attributed to you if it is clear that you
are the author, whether you claim it or not. And with this comes and
goes the copyright.

Best regards,
Dominik A. Haas

*Dominik A. Haas, BA MA*