[INDOLOGY] Identififying Ceylonese toponym Cauraga(s)hing

Jan Filipský filipsky at orient.cas.cz
Sun Nov 3 18:17:11 UTC 2019

Dear Patrick (if I may),

and all helpful contriburing colleagues, thank you for your insights. During my personal visit to Mahiyangana and the Dumbara valley area long time ago I have experienced a situation similar to that described by Robert Knox, but cannot recall the exact location. If we are ready to accept the supposition that „c“ stands for the palatal affricate, the botanical name of a tree caura gas (aka hora gaha, Dipterocarpus zeylanicus) occurs; but we should also take into account Dániel Balogh’s objection that „Knox would surely have pronounced 'c' as the phoneme k“ as evidenced in his Sinhalese vocabulary (JRASCB, No. 47, 1896).

Both my student and myself are extremely grateful and keen to hear further details, if any. Unfortunately, we are unable to consult the Sinhalese translation Eda hela diva : Robat Noks ge Lankadvipaya pilibanda etihasika vistaraya nam Ingrisi granthaye Simhala anuvadaya by David Karunaratna (Kolamba 2016) or the second edition of Knox’s Historical Relation edited by J.H.O. Paulusz whose notes may show the way out of the „heavy fog“ (dum + bara).

Best regards,

Jan Filipsky