[INDOLOGY] Identififying Ceylonese toponym Cauraga(s)hing

Olivelle, J P jpo at austin.utexas.edu
Sun Nov 3 15:16:28 UTC 2019

Dear Jan:

Even though I know Sinhalese, I was unable to crack the term, which is probably mangled. So I asked Gananath and Ranjini Obeyesekere, who work in this period. This is what Ranjini said:

The location is possibly  in the region bordering the Mahiyangane hills that divide the Dumbara valley area ( the wetter Kandy side of the mountains)  from the East Coast dry heat.  Perhaps this is the name of a village located on the border around the area where he was held ..
The word was probably Caura gas hinna.  There are many places which have the suffix -- gas hinna.. Caura  gas may be a kind of tree after which the area was named. I do not know of that tree.  The nearest I can think of was
Karuvala gas --  the ebony tree named ; karuvala'

So, caura is probably some kind of tree; Ranjini suggests “karuvala” ebony. The term “gas” is tree in Sinhala, and we often add that to the name of the specific tree: so, pol gas is coconut tree.

The term hinna probably refers to the place (I have asked for the exact meaning of the term, and will let you know when I get a response).

Best,

Patrick Olivelle