[INDOLOGY] The alphabet found in the Lalitavistara

Richard G. Salomon rsalomon at uw.edu
Fri Nov 1 20:16:12 UTC 2019

Many documents containing the "alphabet" in Devanagari and other scripts,
ancient and modern, have kṣa, jña, and/or tra added in various combinations
(one, two, or all three), at the end, after ha, because these are graphic
ligatures, in the sense that they are (no longer) obviously combinations of
their component graphs. The criteria are graphic, not phonetic (although
coincidentally jña is phonetically distinct in most languages dialects from
j-ñ). You can see some or all of these special graphs in various Indian
primers for teaching reading to children.

The position of the ligatures at the end of the "alphabet" is part of a
general pattern in script history whereby "extra" characters get added –
understandably – at the end of the standard sequence. This is why,
for example, our alphabet has v-w-x-y-z at the end; these were not part of
the character sets in the scripts from which "Latin" is developed, going
back to the Phoenician (and ultimately even to proto-Canaanite) script,
which ended with t.

Rich Salomon