[INDOLOGY] Depictions of yoga in kāvya

adheesh sathaye adheesh1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 01:31:26 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues:

In working with a student, we are curious if there has been research done on depictions of “yoga” (in any of its various manifestations), specifically within the ornate Sanskrit kāvya tradition.

We would be most delighted to get your recommendations of scholarly studies or of primary sources. Examples that come to my mind are the descriptions of Pārvatī’s tapas in the Kumārasambhava - (though it might be arguable whether this constitutes “yoga” per se) - or of tantrikas in the plays of Rājaśekhara, Kṣemīśvara, and Bhavabhūti - (though these characters, too, are not usually shown as practicing or engaged in yoga in any active sense, and are furthermore usually lampooned).

I look forward to your responses!

With all best wishes,
Adheesh

—